Comment on Entry: Bully, authored by pudge
1. Yeah. Really worthy of the front page WaPo, above the fold.

Must have missed the same breaking story on MaObama's admission in Dreams From My Father where he 'tried drugs enthusiastically'.

MSM: Yawn

Posted by yaddacubed at May 14, 2012 08:40 AM
2. Actually, there is some doubt about the story. Go here: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/kyle-drennen/2012/05/11/nbc-reports-romney-bully-story-labeled-factually-incorrect-family-alle

Seems everyone is not on the same page on this.

Posted by katomar at May 14, 2012 09:10 AM
3. They have to go back and dig up a story from 50 years ago to distract the public from the lack of jobs and faltering economy. Then it's gay marriage. What's next? My bet is "comprehensive immigration reform" that has zero chance of passing in an election year. Then medical marijuana. Then abortion.

Posted by Palouse at May 14, 2012 10:03 AM
4. Yes, we learned that Romney was a young man once. A cruel, privileged young man who assaulted those he didn't like and were different.

Posted by Lionel Hutz Esq. at May 14, 2012 10:14 AM
5. @4 Yeah, Obama was a young man once too, who shoved a woman, also assault. It's in his book. Your point?

Posted by Palouse at May 14, 2012 10:20 AM
6. Look, Mitt Romney apparently did something pretty nasty.

Me too; I slapped a guy in the main hall staircase BETWEEN classes.

Puh-lease.

This was the SIXTIES: Men were men, women were women and, as unPC as it may be NOW, homosexuals and perceived homosexuals were still oddities... especially to young men in the throes of hormones.

It's ever so convenient that the basis liberal use for their outrage is always out of context - this time out of context for the TIMES - as they did with Mark Twain and the era of which he wrote.

America needs a decoder ring to communicate with liberals - one that automatically appraises the momentary agenda of that liberal.

Good grief.

Pictorial editorials:

Head Games

The Bully

Good Grief! ...again!

Liberal "Logic"

And a great big 'HELL, YEAH!' to every one of them.

Posted by RagnarDanneskold at May 14, 2012 10:25 AM
7. And if we're supposed to care about this long-ago episode, then I guess we should also care about the time Obama shoved a girl and verbally humiliated her--which he describes in his book.

Posted by Monterey at May 14, 2012 10:41 AM
8. Desperate President Downgrade is using the cooked spaghetti method of campaigning: throw it all at the wall and hope something sticks.

Again, all the little liberal girls (of both sexes) forget the ERA - we still had 'greasers' and preppies, we had athletes and... non-'athletes'.

Guess which 'picked on' whom... yep, the stronger over the perceived weaker.

Oh gee, did that horrible strong vs weak mentality perhaps come from daddy's who fought WWII? Uncles who fought in Korea? Grandpa's who survived WWI? The Cold War waging at the time?

Remember it was also just the cusp of the hippie culture and feminizing of America and her men.

Posted by RagnarDanneskold at May 14, 2012 10:51 AM
9. Hutz: Yes, we learned that Romney was a young man once. A cruel, privileged young man who assaulted those he didn't like and were different.

False. First, there's no evidence "privilege" was any sort of a factor. Second, just because he did something you reasonably think was cruel doesn't mean Romney was a cruel person. Third, the fact that he did this doesn't mean it was a pattern.

So you're really making a lot of things up. Try to not do that, please. Also, you didn't address any of the points I was making. Please fix that for the future, too.

Posted by pudge at May 14, 2012 10:56 AM
10. I'm the same age as Romney and I can tell you that before the revoltion (circa 1969)no one thought about, talked about,or heard about sexual "life styles". It wasn't until years later that I reflected on so and so teacher or student was homosexual. Today you must hear about the topic morning noon and night but that is peculiar to this age. My grandma was told about homosexual practices in her 40's and didn't believe it. When Mitt says that he didn't know the kid was gay it is totally believable. Having said that there are so many unanswered question about the validity of the accusation that I regard the article as nothing more that a hit piece. (not surprising considering the newspaper)

Posted by linda at May 14, 2012 10:59 AM
11. Irrelevant. If a man can rape a woman and still be President, then this is no biggie.

Posted by Gary at May 14, 2012 11:29 AM
12. The complete irony lost on the liberals is that President Downgrade is a complete supporter of and supported by the SEIU who TERRORIZED the families of bankers.

The complete irony lost on the liberals is that President Downgrade is a complete supporter of and supported by the OCCUPIERS who terrorized ports, restaurants, banks, women...

But of course, recent bullying, crime and terroizing is absolutely trumped by denounced bullying ... 50 years ago.

What a load of typical liberal hooey. Progressive, indeed.

When can we start talking about the "Shut up, Rev Wright" scandal and coverup? Oh wait - that's RECENT history... and oh so inconvenient [/snicker].

Posted by RagnarDanneskold at May 14, 2012 11:30 AM
13. True, adults generally shouldn't be judged on their actions as kids or even teenagers. But....

1) He did this when he was a HS senior. That's borderline adult -- very different from, say, an elementary school bully.

2) While "it's just hair", pinning someone down and cutting their hair seems more vicious than, say, punching them (even though I realize a punch can cause serious injury whereas hair grows back).

3) Romney's reaction even now has not been particularly empathetic and many people don't think he's being honest (though there's no proof). He said "As to pranks that were played back then, I don't remember them all, but again, high school days, if I did stupid things, why, I'm afraid I've got to say sorry for it." It seems odd that the others involved remember the incident vividly, but Romney, the instigator, doesn't.

Posted by csc at May 14, 2012 12:01 PM
14. Pudge misses the point. No one doubts that Romney was a kid, a privileged kid.

What people doubt is that the adult Romney understands that his actions as a teen bully deserved the kind of punishment that pudge says he would give his own son.

As for the claim that respect for homosexuals is a new issue, you are right ...THAT IS THE PROBLEM. When I was a high school senior, in 1959, Nigger, Fagg and Kike were normal terms.

I was even asked (because of my grades) to join an elite club. I knew the club excluded Faggs, Niggers, Wops, and Kikes, vut would have joined if my Dad had not explained to me that this club would not be so happy when it discovered I was a Kike.

Seems to me Mitt never had that discussion with his father.

Posted by SeattleJew at May 14, 2012 01:39 PM
15. Oh, and for Dems, rape is excusable and so is leaving a pregnant girl to drown, but not a high school prank. God forbid.

Posted by Gary at May 14, 2012 01:39 PM
16. The only people who honestly care about this are those already voting for Obama. Romney has given it the attention it deserves, which is next to nothing. He stays relentlessly on topic, unlike the MSM, and is talking about the issues people care about. Let the liberals talk amongst themselves about trivial non-issues that have nothing to do with the future of this country.

Posted by Palouse at May 14, 2012 01:46 PM
17. csc: He did this when he was a HS senior. That's borderline adult -- very different from, say, an elementary school bully.

This isn't a point. He's a boy. Call him a young man if you like, but boys/young men in college often do dumber things than those in high school.

Meh. Boys.

Romney's reaction even now has not been particularly empathetic

Good. Recall I said that I hated bullying, and I was bullied. But I would not expect someone who tried to bully me to be empathetic about what they did to me, and if I had been a bully, I would not accept blame for someone else's problems 50 years after the fact. What's there to be empathetic about? Dude did something bad to another dude, but it wasn't very serious, and then they grew up and got old. It's nothing. Literally.

many people don't think he's being honest

Shrug. I know for a fact that Obama lies almost every day, and has been throughout his presidency, about things far more important (like when he says -- and he knows it is a lie -- that Republican policies gave us the recession).

Even if he is not being honest (and I see no reason to think so), it's completely unimportant compared to what Obama lies about every day.

Shrug. I've been bullied, as I noted, and I barely remember most of the details. Some of us let things go when we have no reason to hold on to them. I'm glad Romney seems to be one of these people, who doesn't sit around and fret about unimportant things that happened 50 years ago that he can do nothing about anyway.

Jew: Pudge misses the point.

False.

It's not about "deserving" punishment. I would punish my son not because he "deserved" it but to teach him a lesson, not because it was terrible in and of itself, but so it doesn't become a pattern. And there's no reason to doubt that Romney now understands that doing such a thing is wrong. You have no reason whatsoever to doubt this, largely because there's no pattern.

Seems to me Mitt never had that discussion with his father.

That's not possible. It could not possibly seem like that to you because you don't have any significant information that would imply such a thing. You WANT to believe it, so you do, regardless of how irrational it is. It's pretty much that simple.

Your view of Romney isn't all that different from the 1959 view of "kikes" you rightly condemn.

Posted by pudge at May 14, 2012 02:27 PM
18. When you read stuff like that of SeattleJew and Hutz, it's no wonder so many on the Left believe in irrational and vacuous platitudes like Hope and Change.

Posted by Jeff B. at May 14, 2012 03:40 PM
19. Irelevent, in-nocuous and a complete 'non-event' regarding his candidacy. End of story.

Posted by Duffman at May 14, 2012 06:04 PM
20. Bully?

Would that be like Obama's EPA persecuting an Idaho family for two years for removing logs from a "wetland"?

Would that be like Obama's ATF and Justice Department selling hundreds of guns to Mexican narco-terrorists for transport across the border into Mexico?

Posted by Attila at May 14, 2012 06:34 PM
21. Romney apologized for any high school pranks, yet the Dog Eater exhibits no remorse. In our country, eating a dog is like cannibalism.

They are so desperate, and all of their distractions are back-firing. You have to wonder what distractions they have planned over the next 6 months.

Posted by Poppa at May 14, 2012 09:08 PM
22. Pudge: "What's there to be empathetic about? Dude did something bad to another dude, but it wasn't very serious, and then they grew up and got old. It's nothing. Literally."

Actually the dude on the receiving end of this little prank didn't get old; he led a tough life and drank himself to death. Not saying Mitt's prank, or all the other societal disapproval directed at gays, was to blame, but....

Posted by csc at May 14, 2012 09:22 PM
23. csc: Actually the dude on the receiving end of this little prank didn't get old

I can't tell whether you are lying or just ignorant. He died in 2004, at the approximate age of 57.

he led a tough life and drank himself to death

That, however, I know is a lie. You do not know the source of his liver cancer, nor much of anything about his life. For you to claim otherwise is a lie.

There's no "but"s. Romney could not possibly have been responsible for anything he did to himself. That defies all reason. Even if Lauber was dismayed throughout his whole life at the incident ... that's on Lauber, not Romney. Each of us is solely responsible for how we respond to what happens to us ... and this is especially obvious when what happens is so unserious as someone cutting your hair.

As I said, I would punish my son if he did this, to teach him a lesson. But equally important is teaching the bull-ee a lesson about how to handle adversity. Don't be a victim, don't wallow, and don't pretend like anyone owes you anything (including courtesy or respect). If he chose to ignore those and lived a miserable life -- which doesn't appear to be the case, just as it is unclear whether any of this even happened at all -- then that is entirely on him.

Posted by pudge at May 14, 2012 09:58 PM
24. Romney was just passed his 18th birthday when he cut Lauber's hair. Back in 1965, an 18 year old couldn't vote, but they were punished for crimes the same as any other adult. If Obama had committed a crime at 14 or 15, people on the right would be harping about it.

It is interesting that Lauber got kicked out for smoking a cigarette (tobacco, not pot), but Romney's actions didn't even merit any discipline. Yeah, it is possible memories are faulty, and Romney didn't do it -- but Romney has not denied doing it either.

So I think it is relatively minor, and shouldn't really weigh for much of anything against Romney. But Romney was still an adult, and legally accountable ...

Posted by Richard Pope at May 15, 2012 12:46 AM
25. What passes for "morality" on the Left today:

- Pull a prank 50 years ago, that today might seem wrong, and you are ineligible for anything, ever.

- Support killing a baby as it's born and you qualify for the Presidency

That's what passes for balance "morality" from the Left.

Posted by Shanghai Dan at May 15, 2012 07:32 AM
26. #25 Hell, *after* it's born too! After all, we wouldn't want to mess with the mother's ogiginal decision:

"[A]n additional doctor who then has to be called in an emergency situation to come in and make these assessments is really designed simply to burden the original decision of the woman and the physician to induce labor and perform an abortion. ... I think it's important to understand that this issue ultimately is about abortion and not live births."

So you see... if the baby survives the abortion, he still favors killing it.

Posted by Gary at May 15, 2012 03:05 PM
27. Romney showed, by his actions:

1. Complete intolerance of someone who did not conform to his idea of what was acceptable.

2. Flagrant disregard for the boy's personal boundaries.

3 A cavalier attitude about the prank that comes from a sense of privilege and power probably derived from his personal wealth and attitudes prevalent at the wealthy school.

Posted by Linda at May 17, 2012 12:52 AM
28. Linda: Complete intolerance of someone who did not conform to his idea of what was acceptable.

Not "complete," but significant, yes. As we've already established: he was a young man.

Flagrant disregard for the boy's personal boundaries.

Right. As we've already established: he was a young man.

A cavalier attitude about the prank ...

What kind of attitude should someone have about something unimportant that (supposedly) happened 50 years ago?

... that comes from a sense of privilege and power probably derived from his personal wealth and attitudes prevalent at the wealthy school.

Now you're just making things up. I advise you to not do that.

Posted by pudge at May 17, 2012 05:39 AM