Comment on Entry: Open Thread Friday, authored by Jim Miller
1. In terms of President and Governor I voted for Romney and McKenna.
I do feel, however that I will be wrong on the former vote. Unfortunately I tend to believe there are enough pablum-eaters out there to keep our President IN for another four years. I HOPE TO GOD I'M WRONG ABOUT THIS and I will be elated if so. Aside from the obvious 1st debate, Pres Obama has kept his profile of superb oratory skills intact and has claim to enough accomplishments during his 'reign' (even though sparce) will likely be enough to sway the majority into 'letting it ride' for another four.
Man, I sure hope I can wake up on Nov 7th eating my words. :)

Posted by Duffman at November 2, 2012 01:25 PM
2. Voting for Obama - I believe he's a lock to win and will get 332 Electoral Votes (I have him winning FL and VA along with the other states where he is ahead).

Voting for McKenna - I believe the state needs a shake-up. I think though he will lose 51-49. Very very tough for a Republican to win here.

Voting for R-74, which will win handily.

Voting against 502 - I believe Federal Law "shall be the supreme law of the land" and won't vote for a plainly unconstitutional initiative even though I really don't care if dope is legal or not. But, I think 502 will win by 10 percent.

Voting for 1240 and think (hope?) it will win in a close vote, 53-47.

Voting against 1185. I believe complex budget decisions shouldn't be constrained by simplistic rules. But, I know it will win easily. Not sure it will win in court.

There you go! I'm sure my ballot won't be popular on SP, but I do enjoy the site.

Posted by Moderate Man at November 2, 2012 02:42 PM
3. It's Friday and I'm feeling good so why not be optimistic.

Romney wins WI, OH, FL, CO, NV and VA and takes it. McKenna wins in a recount.

If that happens, I'm not concerned with everything else.

Go Seahawks.

Posted by Palouse at November 2, 2012 03:13 PM
4. So, I will go out on the limb with some predictions:
1. The race will be close, most like 2004, where one (or two) states will decide. Prediction: Obama by a squeaker (by winning Ohio, but will lose either FL or VA for sure, along with most likely Iowa and possibly WI).

2. The popular vote will be the same direction as electoral collage, but a lot closer (as was in 2004). East Coast urban areas will take a hit due to storm, along with reduced youth vote will put this one close to 49% likelihood that Romney wins popular vote.

3. There will be voting problems with King County and it will delay at least the governor's vote. Have you seen the vote online and print your own return envelope they have? This is asking for problems. Governor's race: McKenna by a nose (something like 50.1% to 49.9%)

4. Unfortunately, Maria Cantwell will win reelection, but it will be a lot closer than recent senate races.

5. For my congressional district, now District 1 (for moving), the race will be extremely close with DelBene eaking out a win. Koster's "thing" statement, while not a big deal, will peal off a few undecideds.

6. For my old congressional district, Derek Kilmer will take over from retiring Norm Dicks. Derek has won his State Senate races comfortably and is middle-of-the-road, like the district. Unfortunately for him, however, he will have a rough going in DC. He will be pressed from the left to adopt their agenda and the right will ignore him for the (D) by his name. He doesn't have the history and goodwill built up that Norm had.

That is all I am willing to go out on the limb right now on. It should be interesting final days. Here is looking forward to the end of campaign commercials for a while (PLEASE).

Posted by tc at November 2, 2012 03:25 PM
5. I want to thank Republican Representative Walsh for her courageous vote IN FAVOR of Gay Marriage. Also Republican Senator Joseph Fain who also voted for gay marriage.

See Representative Walsh Stand up in favor of Gay Marriage. Republican Leadership at its finest!

Posted by Sean at November 2, 2012 03:27 PM
6. I just got a mailing today listing the names of the Republican Senators and Representatives who voted for gay marriage when it came to a vote this year in the legislature.

Does anyone know if this mailing was funded by the Washington State Republican Party? I looked for a "paid by.." thing on the mailing and couldn't find one.

I wonder if this is how the Republicans plan to pull Dunn and McKenna over the top?

Posted by Jake at November 2, 2012 03:37 PM
7. Here's a bit of trivia from 2004: In that year, the election was earlier in November than this year, so the preliminary October job report came out after the election

And it showed a gain of more than 300K jobs.

Jake- If it doesn't have the "paid by" on it, then it doesn't come from the party.

It might be from a group trying to sabotage Republicans, if it was sent to people likely to oppose gay marriage. In other words, it might have been sent to you in order to get you not to vote.

(Incidentally, McKenna opposes gay marriage.)

Posted by Jim Miller at November 2, 2012 03:48 PM
8. But McKenna is pro-abortion, right?

Gosh, it's hard to tell who the Republicans are in this state even with a scorecard.

Many of my friends are not voting for McKenna but indeed are writing in "JESUS!". Yeah call us "Jesus freaks" if you want but God is more important to us than the GOP!

Better to waste a vote then to lay waste to my soul! Lesser of two evils is still evil!

Posted by Ben at November 2, 2012 04:07 PM
9. I believe that BO will win this state by slightly more than Kerry did in 2004, because there is a higher % of liberal progressive mentally imbalanced voters than back in 2004.

The Governor's contest. McKenna if he wins by a wide enough margin not to force a recount. If there is a recount, all bets are off - because the GOP have proven to be feckless time and time again.

Cantwell will win. Will someone please tell me why Baumgarter did not debate her ?? He was a decent candidate, but its on him for not at least demanding a debate and making an issue of it.

Wyman will win SOS, Dunn will squeak by for AG - that one might see a recount. Owen will win Lt. Gov. again.

I'll make a prediction on the POTUS by late Sunday - too many moving parts and attempted media manipulation. The storm effect is not clear at this time - it may have stopped or slowed momentum but in the end, don't see it reversing it, in the face of another mediocre jobs report and Libya.

Posted by KDS at November 2, 2012 04:12 PM
10. Is anyone following the scandal at Evergreen State College?

Posted by Scott at November 2, 2012 04:15 PM
11. KDS these are just your hopes right? Because I don't see these predictions based on any figures or polls or anything like that. They seem too unreal especially how poorly McKenna did in the primary.

I think what most pundits are missing is the real anger that there is in the conservative grassroots. They are really angry that they are being forced to vote for Romney, and many just won't do it. Others will do so because they hate Obama just so much but will take out their anger against the GOP on the "less costly races" (or so they think) like in our state the Governor.

I have lost count on the number of people I have talked to who have said, I might have to vote for that damn Romney but there is no way I will vote for McKenna.

I too have heard of the "Jesus" movement. The idea being that if you are going to waste a vote "Jesus" is a better statement than "Mickey Mouse".

McKenna is going to get it from both ways. From an angry Left and an angry Right. And I am sorry there's just not enough people in the middle to make up for all those in the Right who are going to sit out of the Governor's Race.

I don't know what church you go to KDS or if you even go to a church KDS but that is what I am hearing from people in my church. And sorry there's just not the Inslee anger out there like there is the Obama anger, so whatever factor the Republicans were hoping that hate will pull McKenna over the finish line, it just isn't out there.

Posted by James at November 2, 2012 04:30 PM
12. New pro-marriage television ads feature victims of bullying by homosexual activists

14-year-old Sarah Crank and her mother describing the vicious attacks against Sarah by homosexuals following the girl's testimony in favor of traditional marriage in the Maryland state legislature in January.

"It never occurred to me in a million years that they would think about publicly attacking a child, publicly bullying a child," says the mother of a 14-year-old threatened with rape.

Posted by RagnarDanneskold at November 2, 2012 04:35 PM
13. If Gay Marriage does pass in Washington State, you can thank THE REPUBLICANS!

"In this state, conservative Democrats Tim Sheldon, Jim Hargrove and Paull Shin opposed the measure. That meant Democrats needed at least one
Republican vote - and they got four, from King County Republican Sens. Steve Litzow, Cheryl Pflug, Andy Hill, and Joe Fain."

Posted by James Stewart at November 2, 2012 04:49 PM
14. Most polls are flawed because they have been oversampling Dimocrats. 2012 is NOT 2008 and there is much more enthusiasm on the Republican side than the Dimocrat. Romney will prevail in swing states FL, VA, WI, NH, CO, PA, OH and IA and will take the election with over 300 electoral votes.

Rob McKenna will prevail over a horribly flawed Jay Inslee.

Hopefully sodomite marriage will fail or we will be the laughingstock of all decent, civilized people.

Hopefully legalized pot will fail also, as we have far too many dopes in this state already.

Posted by Saltherring at November 2, 2012 05:23 PM
15. I suspect Obama will win Washington by "only" 10 to 12 points. The 21 point margin in the recent Washington poll is ridiculous. And if McKenna is only 3 points behind in that, I suspect he is actually a few points ahead in reality.

Some of these state polls vary wildly. For example, there were two recent polls in Massachusetts for the same period of time. One showed Obama winning by 32 points, and the other showed Obama winning by only 17 points. Obama will almost certainly win Massachusetts, but the difference between the two polls defies all common sense in the polling and statistical science.

Posted by Richard Pope at November 2, 2012 05:43 PM
16. Over in the 45th, liberal democrat Roger Goodman and his special interests are apparently freaking out about his challenge from Joel Hussey, b/c they are hurling the most filthy , disgusting campaign trash at Hussey they possibly can. Tells me their internals show Hussey ahead or roughly even with the "out of the mainstream" (according to the Seattle Times) Goodman.
Make sure everyone votes in the 45th---Redmond, Kirkland, Woodinville, Sammamish & Duvall and let's send Goodman home for good! And replace him with someone MUCH MUCH better---Joel Hussey.

Posted by Princess Leia at November 2, 2012 07:15 PM
17. This is what it says over at the King County Elections web page tonight.

It's been reported that King County GOP is offering to collect and return voters' ballots.

We recommend that voters return ballots to an official King County Elections ballot drop-off location or through the US Postal Service. Voters may use the online ballot tracker to confirm that King County has received their ballot.

Posted by Sean at November 2, 2012 07:22 PM
18. #17, Sean,

Pierce County voters can follow up on their returned ballots at:

Posted by FurryGuy at November 2, 2012 07:39 PM
19. FurryGuy (do you know what that means in some quarters?) what worries me is by that statement that King County Elections has posted on their website it seems designed to make it appear, or at least to tend to support the suggestion that Republicans are engaging in voter fraud.

Whereas we know the reverse is probably happening.

I see the statement on the web site as being VERY politically motivated and in and of itself trying to influence the direction of this election!

Posted by Sean at November 2, 2012 08:10 PM
20. Yeah Sean, it sorta reminds you of Obama accusing Republicans of lying.

Posted by Saltherring at November 2, 2012 10:16 PM
21. #17: GOP has "victory vans", one of them I saw today at the Sammamish Safeway parking lot. They are collecting ballots from people who don't want to mail theirs.

Posted by Princess Leia at November 2, 2012 10:18 PM
22. Romney, McKenna and Cantwell cruise to victory on Tuesday.
Anti-Obama sentiment seeps down-ballot and hands U.S. Senate majority to the Republicans.

Democrats, just as in 2010, won't learn from defeat.

Posted by Attila at November 3, 2012 01:32 AM
23. What do those UW geeks know about polling? They sure got it wrong in 2008:

Wave II Polling Results (Nov 1, 2008)
Obama: 51%
McCain: 39%

Election Results:
Obama: 57.7%
McCain: 40.5%

And let's not forget how their liberal bias caused them to miss in the gubernatorial race:

Wave II Polling Results (Nov 1, 2008)
Gregoire: 50%
Rossi: 48%

One of the SP local geniuses saw right through that one:

Rossi is going to win. The polls are wrong.
Posted by: pudge on November 1, 2008 06:03 PM

Well, he was half right. The polls were wrong!

Election Results:
Gregoire: 53.2%
Rossi: 46.8%

There's going to be a lot of surprised and disappointed folks around here Tuesday night. My suggestion: lock up the guns and sharp knives and give yourselves a chance to get over it.

Posted by scottd at November 3, 2012 07:23 AM
24. scottd just confirmed his stupidity...not for believing the leftist polls, but for believing this country can survive another four years of Barack Obama.

Posted by Saltherring at November 3, 2012 07:36 AM
25. Damn Republicans! They're suppressing my vote!

Posted by RagnarDanneskold at November 3, 2012 12:51 PM
26. Gay Marriage: Healthy Debate Must Not Stifled
People who don't have a prejudiced, homophobic bone in their bodies are afraid to speak up

OK, I'll say what few others else will: The love which formerly dared not speak its name, now not only shouts it from the housetops and on prime time TV shows, it has become a domineering, covetous love, seeking to take for itself more than what rightfully belongs to it. Gay marriage is simply a bridge too far. As a gay man, I am saddened by the license political correctness issues to same-sex marriage proponents to be uncivil and repress debate.

I was a panelist at a Town Hall meeting held near Annapolis several days ago, explaining to my fellow Marylanders why they should vote against Question 6, regarding same-sex marriage. At one point, a man stood up to ask a question. He, along with every other person in the room, knew that I am gay, so he prefaced his point with, "First of all, I need to state that I am not a 'hater,'" before continuing on.

My reaction surprised the crowd: "It's a tragedy that anyone who questions the plausibility of an idea as implausible as same sex marriage, fears being labeled a homophobe. It's perfectly reasonable to question the viability of this new law -- a controversial law which passed only narrowly on a partisan vote in our legislature."

As actively engaged citizens, we are supposed to be involved in healthy, productive debates about this topic from one end of the Free State to the other in advance of casting our ballots. But for some reason, decent folks with legitimate viewpoints frequently choose to remain silent. Why?

...

The proponents of same sex marriage often assert, "I should be able to marry anyone I love, regardless of gender." This begs the question, "What's love got to do with it?" In the eyes of the state, love should be completely inconsequential to marriage. Nowhere on your state's marriage license application does it ask, "Do you love each other?" Same-sex marriage proponents need to stop putting forth this subterfuge, and be willing to engage in serious intellectual debate.

Another argument frequently employed claims "We need to evolve." It is alleged that our nation's definition of marriage had previously evolved with the advent of "Loving v. Virginia," which struck down a law prohibiting interracial marriage. This is spurious. The Virginia Legislature earlier had corrupted the definition of marriage by banning mixed marriages. The "Loving v. Virginia" ruling simply restored the true definition of marriage, which is the union of a man and a woman, regardless of race.

The best thing concerned citizens can do is to simply speak up. Don't allow yourself to be cowed into silence. It's OK to disagree with the notion of same-sex marriage.

Posted by RagnarDanneskold at November 3, 2012 01:04 PM
27. For those of you who live in the 47th District or close, there are two "victory vans" each of the next four days for depositing ballots. They are located in the Covington Fred Meyer parking lot, and at the Auburn Train Station. You can drop your ballots at either location each day from now until the election. Of course, you can also drop them at the Kent Justice Center . The vans are attended and have GOP markings.

Please vote and make a special effort to encourage your family and friends to vote. It is critical that we win this election.

Thanks,
Steve Altick
47th LD GOP/Chairman
Auburn, Washington
253.631.1930

Posted by syllabucks at November 3, 2012 03:18 PM
28. Get ready for major riots in the bowels of inner cities (including Seattle) when Obama gives his concession speech later next week !

I hope these riots do not materialize and liberal progressives would be wise to act mature for a change, even though that would be a magnanimous challenge for pinheads.

Posted by KDS at November 3, 2012 05:18 PM
29. My husband has four pals who are with the Wichita KS police department. They have told him they have been issued new gear and have had mandatory extra training to prepare for the unrest they expect on/after election day. They've gotten new riot shields, upgraded eye protection and shotguns. Some officers have bought second shotguns. Their biggest fear, one for which they cannot train or prepare, is the use of Molotov cocktails.

With the rabid left loudly threatening for the last month ... well, just remember WTO: they think THAT'S "what democracy looks like".

Posted by RagnarDanneskold at November 3, 2012 08:21 PM
30. Get the water cannons ready. Most of the leftists I'm acquainted with could use a good cleansing anyway.

Posted by Saltherring at November 3, 2012 09:51 PM
31. Democrat admits he's voted four times and intends to vote a 5th:

Posted by Princess Leia at November 3, 2012 11:16 PM
32. Michael Barone predicted that Mitt Romney would end up with between 285 and 315 electoral votes. I was surprised that he went out on a limb in this unpredictable election that seems close. On the other hand, his previous track record is strong and I would be very surprised if he is wrong.

He is saying the good guys will win and the small, petulant and vengeful person currently occupying the Oval Office will lose. It is doubtful he will not go out without kicking and screaming in some way and don't be surprised if his actions indicate revenge by not being reelected. Don't go away angry, passive-aggressive Obama, just go away !

Posted by KDS at November 3, 2012 11:21 PM
33. Yes, Barack, go away....and take Harry Reid (Dimocrat US Senate majority) with you.

Posted by Saltherring at November 4, 2012 06:03 AM
34. Wow, with all the hoopla about 'irregular' and inconsistant voting situations can we ever be sure that voting results (even on a national level)(we just assume not on a King Co level) will be a true accounting of our ballots. Getting scary folks.

Posted by Duffman at November 4, 2012 07:11 AM
35. Agreed, Duff - it could go either way. At this point, I would not rule out massive voter fraud in the most dominant swing states for POTUS and also for the US Senate seats...

Another protracted election like 2000 would be a very unhealthy scenario for this Republic, IMHO !

Posted by KDS at November 4, 2012 09:00 AM
36. Agreed, Duff - it could go either way. At this point, I would not rule out massive voter fraud in the most dominant swing states for POTUS and also for the US Senate seats...

Posted by KDS at November 4, 2012 09:00 AM
37. Mail-in ballots: the hanging chads of 2012?
-- For a variety of reasons, mail-in ballots are much more likely to be rejected than conventional, in-person votes.

With the razor-close presidential election Tuesday between President Barack Obama and Republican challenger Mitt Romney potentially riding on a few tens of thousands of votes in a handful of states, the election could be decided by election officials' judgments about mail-in ballot signatures.

-- National law requires equipment at voting stations that informs voters of ballot issues and lets them fix them; fix-it opportunities are not mandated for mail-in ballots.

As a result, mail-in ballot voters who manage to get a ballot to election officials are about four times more likely to see their vote go uncounted as those who vote in person, Stewart calculates.

Add in the number of ballots never sent to voters who request them and ballots that don't make it to the polling station, and approximately one in five mail-in votes may be lost, Stewart says.
--Washington state came more recently to vote-by-mail. It rejected more than 2 of every 100 ballots in 2008. But the state cut that rate by a third in 2010, which State Elections Co-Director Shane Hamlin credited to massive voter education.

Signature issues and late ballots are the two main issues in Washington, like most states. "They are both totally fixable through education," he said.

Washington state is either collectively insane or KNOW how easy it is to lie, cheat and steal with absentee ballots.

"It fits the 21st century lifestyle," said Washington state Secretary of State Sam Reed.

No Sam, it fits the need to LIE, CHEAT and STEAL elections. Jerk.

Posted by RagnarDanneskold at November 4, 2012 10:56 AM
38. Be sure to change your clocks if you haven't already, and then change your president on Tuesday.

Posted by Princess Leia at November 4, 2012 01:48 PM