Comment on Entry: Open Election Thread, authored by Jim Miller
1. Mitch McConnell has already vowed to make sure that Obama is only a two term president.

Posted by red hiney monkey at November 7, 2012 03:22 PM
2. The Stock Market showed what the part of the nation that had any money felt about Obama, by diving over 338 today. Stay tuned, The Fiscal Catastrophe he has created in America is only beginning to come to roost!

Posted by gs at November 7, 2012 03:39 PM
3. I should have added that I am using the Washington numbers last updated at 11:26 PM yesterday. In that tally, Obama has 1,062,561 votes and Romney has 822,611 votes.

By way of comparison, in 2008, Obama received 1,750,848 votes and McCain 1,229,226 votes.

Posted by Jim Miller at November 7, 2012 03:44 PM
4. Wonder if Trump still wants to see Obama's 'papers' :)

Posted by Duffman at November 7, 2012 03:54 PM
5. Fox News said that Bush had a mandate in 2004 because of his 286 electoral votes.

I guess that means Obama has an even clearer mandate, endorsed by the people, now.

Posted by Mandate at November 7, 2012 03:59 PM
6. It's amazing how much King County skews the results for the whole state. King and Jefferson counties show typically 60-65% for the liberal side of ballot measures and Democrats, while even Thurston and Pierce counties are only in the mid-50s. Here's hoping that most of the ballots yet to be counted are coming from not-so-liberal areas.

Posted by bigal at November 7, 2012 04:11 PM
7. re 6: I think it has something to do with population, Big Al. Even though some of the red counties are bigger that King county, that does not mean that they have more voters.

In addition, there are better schools in the more populated areas in the western part of the state, and you know what that means, don't you?

The smart people tend to vote for Democrats. I hope that you and the kids brought in all the crops now that daylight savings is over. You can start them back in with larnin' readin', writin', and cipherin' -- and o' course larnin' about Jaysus.

Posted by red hiney monkey at November 7, 2012 04:35 PM
8. @bigal - King County doesn't "skew" the results - it just ends up that people vote, not wheat fields. More people live in King County, thus more votes come out of King County.

But I know how difficult math is to some of you guys...

Posted by willis at November 7, 2012 04:39 PM
9. @2 Not to worry, if Republicans lack faith in our country's future, and want to sell their stock cheap, I'll take it off their hands. And, I'll still be here when things look rosy again and they're ready to buy their stock back from me.

Posted by Roger Rabbit at November 7, 2012 04:40 PM
10. #7 That was over the top...no need for such insults. You might consider deleting that, Jim :)

Posted by Duffman at November 7, 2012 04:41 PM
11. monkey @ 7:

From God's word:

Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done....
Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.

Dangerous ground you tread on, monkey.

Posted by Saltherring at November 7, 2012 04:44 PM
12. Jim, you must be really depressed if 1960s political jokes is all you can think of to write about. I'm so sorry you feel that way. Believe me, I want to empathize! This election must feel a lot like a coal shaft collapsing on you. I'm trying to imagine your pain. As for me, I feel great, thank you very much! I hope you can find a way for some of my cheer to rub off on you. After all, what are friends for?

Posted by Roger Rabbit at November 7, 2012 04:46 PM
13. Duffman @ 10:

No leave it, that kind of talk only serves to reveal the intellect of the average monke..., er, leftist.

Posted by Saltherring at November 7, 2012 04:47 PM
14. re 11; If you've got something that you want to say to me, say it yourself, and quit hiding behind God's skirts.

You seem to be working yourself into quite a lather of late.

Posted by red hiney monkey at November 7, 2012 05:00 PM
15. Well boys, I am not one to gloat but all you airheads who liked to namecall need to understand that we live in a Blue Country.
Pres Obama won overwhelmingly with millions more votes than necessary.
Anyone care to debate that?
America survives.

Posted by Joanie the Educator. at November 7, 2012 05:06 PM
16. red hiney monkey @ 7; Daylight Saving Time was never done because of farming. Farmers work when there is work to be done, sunlight or not.

So it appears that all the Democrats who vote are smart after all.

Posted by Rae at November 7, 2012 05:06 PM
17. Well boys, I am not one to gloat but all you airheads who liked to namecall need to understand that we live in a Blue Country.
Pres Obama won overwhelmingly with millions more votes than necessary.
Anyone care to debate that?
America survives.

Posted by Joanie the Educator. at November 7, 2012 05:07 PM
18. Haven't seen KS lately.
No one likes a sore loser.
At least I am being gracious.

Wonder if it has anything to do with the elections. Big talk and then KS walks.

Duffman? MIA. ROFL

Posted by Joanie the Educator at November 7, 2012 05:16 PM
19. I just wanted to thank all the right-wing agenda folks on this board for picking a candidate so undesirable you pretty much handed Obama the election on a silver platter. All the name calling, stupid hidden agenda movies (Atlas Shrugged, 2016: Obama's America, etc), "unskewed" poll data, just made the Dem's stronger and allowed them to show you just can't win with whiny old white people (Here's looking at you Tea Party folks). Here's to Santorum in 2016!!

Viva Si R-74!!,
Cato

P.S. In the future never have old white guys comment on anything related to rape. It just makes you look like an idiot.

Posted by Cato at November 7, 2012 06:12 PM
20. For me, the national election came down to Mitt Romney's credibility.

For a data-driven businessman, Mitt Romney seemed to have some trouble with accounting. His plan to lower taxes and increase military spending while making up the difference via closing loopholes made very little sense to me, especially in the light of data that showed very little correlation between rising government revenues and declining tax rates. On top of that, he refused to specify which loopholes he would cut. It seemed like a plan designed around electability, rather than a plan designed to address a serious issue.

I was also puzzled at how Mitt ragged on the 47%, while at the same time proposing to lower their taxes so that their numbers would increase!

On the local initiatives, I'm pleased to see some common ground between myself and some regular SP posters on the issue of marijuana legalization.

Posted by John A. at November 7, 2012 06:15 PM
21. Okay, here's a fresh joke:

Jay Leno: "I don't know if you've heard that Don't Ask-Don't Tell is back. It's Obama's new policy on Benghazi--Don't Ask me and I won't tell you."

(Though I think every one interested in politics should learn the classics, first.)

Posted by Jim Miller at November 7, 2012 06:21 PM
22. I dislike saying this, but one or two commenters here have made me wonder whether seeing other people unhappy makes them happy. I hope I am wrong about that because that's not a good way to live, especially when those other people are your fellow citizens

Oh, please. These threads are populated by some of the nastiest, most mean-spirited right wing nuts. Constant venomous slurs about anyone not straight and Christianist and conservative. Constant calls for the most mean-spirited public policies that would only serve to stupify and impoverish the populace, particularly the most vulnerable. Endless threats of 'god's' wrath.

No, spare me the mawkish self-righteousness. Your side proposed a profoundly right-ward agenda, and got drubbed at the polls. When Republicans speak the truth (as they understand it) - Mitt and '47%', Mourdock and Akin, 'legitimate rape' and magic lady parts and God-given rape prgnancies, Medicare vouchers and slashed taxes for the rich - the people reject them.

You conservatives took a pounding last night for proposing a horrendous agenda, and now you're whining about civility and hurt fee-fees.

Posted by Dr. Liberal at November 7, 2012 06:38 PM
23. Well, I am the first to admit that i am disappointed in the presidential election results; now twice in a row. I know others who do not share my views were disappointed with the previous two elections in '00 and '04. I opposed R74, but am OK with the outcome. I voted my conscience, others voted theirs.

We move on.

"i know there's a balance, i see it when i swing past"
-John Mellancamp

I took three good things from the election though:
Passage of Charter Schools: nuff said
David Madore elected to Clark County Commission: ends the Portland Loot Rail boondoggle
Killing the C-Tran sales tax for Loot Rail operation and maintenance.

(sorry about the Clark county centric post, but we're still WA state, no matter how much the Worst Governed Entity in the Western Hemisphere... aka Portland... tries to indirectly annex us)

Cheers, Mike

Posted by Mike in America's Vancouver at November 7, 2012 06:54 PM
24. It's hard for me to comprehend why anyone would oppose R-74. This is simply about live-and-let-live. Gays are going to live together and do their thing whether they can legally marry or not, so voting against R-74 doesn't make gayness go away. All R-74 does is confer a legal status that makes life easier for committed partners in terms of tax benefits, access to medical records (and being able to visit your partner in the hospital), etc. I'm absolutely unable to see how a marriage of two gays can possibly undermine someone else's traditional marriage. I can appreciate the resentment of a wife whose husband dumps her for another man, but I don't think R-74 impacts a situation like that one way or the other.

Posted by Roger Rabbit at November 7, 2012 07:22 PM
25. Happy to see 2/3 requirement for tax increases and Charter Schools pass. And Kim Wyman was far and away the most qualified and person most able to be trusted for the SOS job.

Troy Kelly will likely be terrible in state auditor job, where trust of the official is paramount, but WA voters will have to suffer with their choice.

Posted by Princess Leia at November 7, 2012 07:24 PM
26. A few thoughts.

I'd rather be the losing party who loses with dignity than the winning party winning with none. You know who you are, don't you Joanie and Dr Liberal?

It's ironic that twice now Obama ran and won on that ethereal idea of HOPE when the consequence of Obama is big government and increased dependence upon it. The state of being beholden to others rather than yourself does not garner a state of optimism nor does it bode 'hope' for better. I suggest you read some historical tomes written by and about slaves.

Someone was crowing about buying our stock cheap. Please, go for it. As they continue to pump false money into the economy your stocks will become increasingly worthless and when you finally realize it and attempt to sell them, you will then realize punishing capital gains taxes on money that has little value.

Congratulations, you got what you wanted. And if you have as much as you claim, you're the one your team thinks should pay more.

Our portfolio's will be cashed out while the max capital gains is still 15%.

As a conservative, I endured and survived Carter and 4 years of Obama. I'm a lot older now and have less future in which to recover, but that does not lessen my strength nor endurance. It does make me scared.

If the past is predictive of the future and if the axiom that a 2nd term is always less successful for a President than his first, we're in for a rough time. But at the same time we're status quo with divided government, a lazy senate and a more determined house of representatives. I don't call that a mandate.

Posted by RagnarDanneskold at November 7, 2012 07:31 PM
27. The way I look at it, with I-502 and R-74 both passing, perhaps a lot more lefty potheads and sodomites will want to move here, driving up the real estate values. I can then afford to sell my home and get back to Texas where things aren't so crazy.

So what else can you libs do to get more of your ilk wanting to move here? State income tax? Free public transportation? Affirmative action HOV lanes? C'mon, get to work! Make it the dream destination for every wanna-be socialist in the country. I'm ready to sell!

Posted by Smoley at November 7, 2012 08:01 PM
28. For all the leftist gloaters here: what are you gonna do when you run out of people to loot to pay for your self-righteousness? Just curious.

Posted by Bastiat Fan at November 7, 2012 08:28 PM
29. Those who are happy at seeing others (they disagree with) unhappy are the same types who, when they see "inequality" of circumstances, try to ameliorate it by bringing DOWN those at the top, instead of LIFTING UP those at the bottom. Oliver Cromwell's Levelers in Britain tried that, and it didn't work very well. It will fail here, too. Greece, anyone?

Posted by RushBabe49 at November 7, 2012 08:31 PM
30. monkey @ 14:

God is the one who will judge you, not me. After all, you mocked Him in post #6, not me. Perhaps you should challenge Him to a duel or something?

Posted by Saltherring at November 7, 2012 09:23 PM
31. Roger @ 24...

Civil Unions (which i support) are about live and let live. Using the word marriage took it to a level i couldnt support.

Maybe my feelings about marriage cant be understood by someone who comes across as smug as you (hopefully inadvertantly) did. Glad my wife does.

and sorry about the double adverb above.

Cheers, Mike

Posted by Mike in America's Vancouver at November 7, 2012 09:30 PM
32. America survives.
Posted by Joanie the Educator. at November 7, 2012 05:06 PM

But only if Obama's policies fail, which they will given the last 4 years. Welcome to the lame duck presidency of incompetent boobs and their equally air-headed supporters. Freedom will ring once again in this country in 4 years when the American electorate votes for a qualified candidate and not the flavor of the month the Dem's propose.

Posted by Rick D. at November 7, 2012 11:39 PM
33. John A. @ 20: It seemed like (Romnney's) plan designed around electability, rather than a plan designed to address a serious issue.

Perhaps you can enlighten us as to what Obama's plan is/was for the next 4 years to address the serious mess he's helped expand upon. I welcome that post, John A. Since no news organization has been able to state what that "plan" is or even ask the question of the whitehouse. Romney is a competent leader, Obama, a laughable "community orgranizer". This country will get the leadership it deserves and at this juncture, it looks like we'll be adrift at sea for another 4 years.

Posted by Rick D. at November 7, 2012 11:54 PM
34. The good news is the right-wing psycho talkers will be out of business soon.

Posted by SmoledMan at November 8, 2012 01:27 AM
35. .
I said it here before the election, but let's repeat.

WA Republicans are LOSERS.

Oh, and a special shout out to (un)SP front page LOSER, pudge. Your man Koster got his ass handed to him in the 1st CD. pudge loves those 3 time losers.
Congrats pudge!

Posted by MikeBoyScout at November 8, 2012 05:37 AM
36. Rick D. @ 33:

Perhaps BHO's '12 plan for the future was Hopey-Changey? That worked on the double-digit IQ crowd in '08, and everyone knows the results. No, BHO's subtle campaign promise to his "no, please, anything but a JOB...." voter base was simply, "You can count on more of the same." ....which means, "don't listen to them, the free stuff will last forever so you'll never have to get off your lazy ass and look for a job."

There are now appears to be more of "these" than "us". When Obamacare kicks in...along with a tax increase or two...we'll see (sadly) just how long the unemployment lines get. 1933 anyone?

Posted by Saltherring at November 8, 2012 06:34 AM
37. #18 No, Ms Joanie if you were a regular reader of this blog you would have seen my posts, and realized that I'm really not MIA. Even tho having voted for Romney I felt that Obama would win. McKenna...a different story; I really thought he would win...and apparently there's still a slight chance of that.
Please feel free to ignore my presence or absence. :)

Posted by Duffman at November 8, 2012 07:24 AM
38. Oh, and keep up the obstructionism for the next two years. You've already had your hiney handed to you, in 2014, it'll be your heads -- all self-inflicted damage.

Posted by red hiney monkey at November 8, 2012 07:37 AM
39. Right wingers:

All the vitriol against Obama spewed here and on other right wing blogs have really worked out well for you. This waste of negative emotion is only matched by squandering of right wing coin.

Look at all the right wing wealth eaten up by expensive ad buys and D's still got more ads on the air. Sheldon Adelson broke a record in political funding and all his favored candidates lost. I understand consultants who placed those right wing ad buys skimmed a healthy profit off that waste of money. Heh. Always a sucker to be had out there.

Push comes to shove and the former "community organizer" handily defeated the big league vulture capitalist CEO and owner.

But take heart dear conservatives.. Like Rags said, after all the nasty words said and all the coin squandered - we battled to the status quo..

With a "grand compromise" on the horizon, your kind still has two more years to really screw up our country.

Posted by YLB at November 8, 2012 07:42 AM
40. I'd rather be the losing party who loses with dignity than the winning party winning with none.

Dignity? Really? Like when Karl Rove, sputtering and nearly incoherent, sent poor Megyn Kelly into the bowels of the FoxNews Death Star to interrogate the statisticians about calling Ohio for Barack?

That kind of dignity? You can keep that, thank you very much. I'll take arithmetic.

Or is it dignified to whine about 'ungracious winners', as you did on the prior thread?

I asked you there a question I'm dying to hear the answer to...how does someone using the pseudonym 'RagnarDanneskold' complain about others being 'ungracious winners'? How does an adherent to (atheist) Ayn Rand's Objectivism complain, with any dignity or self-awareness, about someone reveling in success? Are we Democrats not being all Galt-y when we broadcast news of our massive victory? Hmm?

Posted by Dr. Liberal at November 8, 2012 08:01 AM
41. Massive victory? Last I looked, Obama got 51% of the non-fringe candidate vote. Is that anything like the permanent Democratic majority I kept reading about in 2008, the one that lasted all of 2 years?

Posted by Dirk van der Huge at November 8, 2012 08:15 AM
42. Obama was a better campaigner. They predicted that this would be a turnout election.

McCain got more Republican votes than Romney! I'm disgusted with the pathetic conservatives that couldn't be bothered to get out of their LazyBoys and vote.

Quite frankly, we are doomed. Instead of trying to save this country, all my efforts now have to go towards gathering resources in order to survive to oncoming collapse. I still have time to prepare; it won't happen until after Obama is out of office, but he has put us on an irreversible course.

Posted by Poppa at November 8, 2012 08:28 AM
43. ...all my efforts now have to go towards gathering resources in order to survive to oncoming collapse. I still have time to prepare...

Please, proceed....I hear bunkers are cheap in Idaho, but they may not stay that way.

bwahahaha

(and yes, Dirk, massive. Despite your billionaire betters spending $400 million or more, we kept Barack Hussein Obama in office, the Senate went D+2, the House D+7, marriage equality passed everywhere, the 'emergency manager' bullshit was repealed in Michigan, and the Democratic ground game only got stronger and its coalition more multi-hued and diverse and young. We are the future.)

Posted by Dr. Liberal at November 8, 2012 08:34 AM
44. re 42: "Please get out of the new boat if you can't lend a hand ...." Bob Dylan

At least he said 'Please'. I don't. My comment to you would end with '...and the horse you rode in on.'

Posted by red hiney monkey at November 8, 2012 08:52 AM
45. Romney was a bad candidate. If Republicans don't run Rubio in 2016, they all ought to have their heads examined. Logical arguement no longer works on the electorate, you have to pander to constituencies if you want to win. Obama just proved it.

Posted by zorch at November 8, 2012 08:53 AM
46. And don't forget about the Supreme Court. You guys just lost a generational fight for control of the county's real agenda.

Posted by red hiney monkey at November 8, 2012 08:55 AM
47. @32: Speaking of the "double-digit IQ crowd", I wonder who was the genius who put together this stunning piece of analysis:

Most polls are flawed because they have been oversampling Dimocrats. 2012 is NOT 2008 and there is much more enthusiasm on the Republican side than the Dimocrat. Romney will prevail in swing states FL, VA, WI, NH, CO, PA, OH and IA and will take the election with over 300 electoral votes.

Here's a hint:

Posted by Saltherring at November 2, 2012 05:23 PM

0 for 8! You obviously have your finger on the pulse of America, salt. Tell us more!

Posted by scottd at November 8, 2012 09:31 AM
48. scottd:

I overestimated conservative energy and turnout. I wasn't the only one. I guess those (conservatives) that stayed home felt a Marxist was just as good as a moderate. In any case, the freeloader class is much larger than in '08 (thanks to BHO) and I guess they had much more to lose by staying home.

Hope you enjoy your time on top, leftists, all the while realizing the chickens may come home to roost sooner rather than later.

Posted by Saltherring at November 8, 2012 09:51 AM
49. I've been asking my left wing friends a couple of questions that baffle them. I think their hearts are in the right place. Who's against helping the less fortunate? But, try to get a coherent answer to the following:

1. Four more years at the current spending rate are going to run the debt up to close to $20 trillion (almost double the amount accumluated by all other administations combined). If and when interest rates rise to their historical levels, how do you propose to pay the interest, on top of all of the other increased spending? Interest alone will be 3-4% of GDP.

2. What exactly were the Republican policies that "got us into this mess in the first place?". Tax cuts? Wars? I thought those were supposed to stimulate the economy? The proximate cause was the housing crisis (read "Reckless Endangerment), which can't be pinned on Republicans.

Posted by Dirk van der Huge at November 8, 2012 09:59 AM
50. I overestimated conservative energy and turnout. I wasn't the only one.

Indeed you weren't. There were plenty of right-wingers who seemed unable to read and process the data that was right in front of them. And yet, those same folks are eager to continue braying their certainty regarding what will come next.

My point is, after making such an obvious error, I would go easy on proclaiming the low intelligence of folks who disagree with you. I doubt that will happen...

Posted by scottd at November 8, 2012 10:05 AM
51. re 49: The actual cause was that although the price of things has steadily gone up, wages have remained stagnant. People were only staying afloat because an artifivial housing bubble allowed them to borrow against their houses (for a timne). With the bursting of the housing bubble, consumers no longer had the money to buy things. Our economy is based upon consumers buying things.

So, the answer to your question is that we need higher wages and stronger unions.

Posted by red hiney monkey at November 8, 2012 10:08 AM
52. The best illustration of the mind-set of liberal voters is that Jesse Jackson Jr. won reelection from the Mayo clinic where he has been battling depression and reportedly some kind of substance abuse, while simultaneously undergoing investigation for "mis-use" of funds. He never campaigned, never spoke to his constituents, but won handily. THAT is what we are up against - stupidity.

Posted by katomar at November 8, 2012 10:34 AM
53. I wouldn't be surprised to see Obama appoint Eric Holder (current AG) as the next Supreme court justice. :)

Posted by Duffman at November 8, 2012 10:43 AM
54. monkey (@ 51) apparently has never heard of the Community Reinvestment Act, Dimocrat legislation (Carter/enhanced by Clinton) that forced banks to grant mortgages to homebuyers with little or no verifiable income. Much of the toxic paper came from that one.

And scottd (@ 50) forgets Gallup and Rasmussen polls showed Romney up (nationally and in several swing states) by 5-6 percentage points a week prior to election day.

In any case, I'll be stocking up on preserved food, ammunition, junk silver coins and other essentials...while spending less on recreation, electronics and other non-essentials. I stopped by a GM dealer on election day, as we were considering trading our 100,000 mile Jeep Grand Cherokee in on a new Chevrolet Tahoe. Given the results of the election, that won't be happening. Look for many middle class/upper middle class folks to do the same, given the coming tax increases (Obamacare, etc).

Posted by Saltherring at November 8, 2012 10:56 AM
55. Mike @ 23:
> Yes, it will probably also kill the CRC as currently envisioned. It deserved to die. Any group who spends 140M+ only to not get Coast Guard buy-in to the height of the bridge needs some prosecution and jail time.

I agree, but you just have to look at St. Louis to see the intent of such moronic decisions. They built a lowered bridge on purpose in order to shut down freight traffic on the Mississippi, which in turn (and as envisioned) turned St. Louis a major rail hub for the region.

I don't know if the same is true for Vancouver/PDX but a lot of barge traffic goes through the mouth of the Columbia upwards into Washington State. Could have highly benefited PDX's port operations.

Posted by Cato at November 8, 2012 10:57 AM
56. It appears that HA sent all their Obamaroid loons over here to bloviate, in addition to the normal trolls. Conservatives will do to MaObama's second term mid-term Senate what Ds did to Bush's. Then we have the young guns in 2016, while the D bench is REALLY thin.

I'm putting one of these on.

BTW, that Joanie is an Educator speaks volumes as to what's wrong with government schools.

Posted by Election Day 2014 at November 8, 2012 11:03 AM
57. I actually see eye to eye with the President and Lefties who comment here on many things. I don't think there should be any restrictions on Gay Marriage. Who cares what people want to do in their personal lives. Or on abortion (with the caveat of no late term abortions because that's pretty sick) because I don't see how we will ever be able to stop early term abortions. And on marijuana legalization. Personally I think pot usage is like drinking, it doesn't lead to success, but freedom is more important, and if people want to fail, that's their business. If nothing else, marijuana should be a class 2 drug unlike heroin or meth and other more dangerous drugs.

All that said, the reason I vote right is that it is morally repugnant and just flat out wrong to redistribute. It's a matter of value and productive work. I know plenty of productive people on both the left and right and it it just plain immoral to discriminate based on someone's ability to succeed and produce in the same way as it is to discriminate on skin color. That the Left wants to take from those who work hard and give to those who don't is morally wrong. And it ultimately backfires in that there will be less revenue, and less incentive to work hard, and thus less for the alleged beneficiaries. Just look at any European socialist state. A lot less wealth, a lot more idle and angry men, and a lot less happiness.

By the same token, it is repugnant and morally wrong to excessively regulate the businessman out of existence for the sake of some bureaucrat just as it is repugnant to regulate marriage or abortion. The Left loves certain regulations and not others, but fiscally, we are in deep trouble, and that matters a lot more than who's getting married. Although again, if the Left had any sense, they'd realize that a ponzi scheme based on taking from the young and giving to the old, should at least have more incoming youths to take from. Killing them all of in abortions or killing their incentive to produce with socialism isn't very intelligent planning, but since when has a Lefty ever thought past a freebie.

The issue is freedom. If the Left really believed in freedom, they'd believe in financial freedom as they do equality of skin color and freedom to marry.

Also, why did Obama win? Simple, a large percentage of Palin types stayed home, and a large percentage of the youth vote, who aren't subscribed to the media sources of us older folks, and frankly have no way of hearing messages of fiscal responsibility and freedom, were well targeted by Obama's team. Ultimately the joke will be on them in that those same youths have the most to lose from an entitlement state that takes from them to pay for their elder's sloth, pensions, healthcare, etc. They wanted socialism, and they are going to get it good and hard.

I'm going away now. It's been fun. Given voters who voted for Obama based on his skin color and free phones, and the Left's unwillingness to admit that the derivative exposure of the nine largest banks is about 228 Trillion and the GDP is 15 Trillion, what's important now is to focus on building one's own life raft. Because the Titanic is taking on water fast.

To those SP commenters on the right and center, good skill and to those on the left, good luck.

Out!

Posted by Jeff B. at November 8, 2012 11:20 AM
58. re 52: If the option was to vote for a crazy Democrat or a crazy Republican (e.g., Michelle Bachma), I'd vote for the Democrat any day.

Posted by red hiney monkey at November 8, 2012 11:25 AM
59. re 54: "Bush, who once touted his administration's goal as creating an "ownership society," may now go down in history as the president on whose watch ownership declined. The nation's homeownership rate has fallen during the last two years and will plummet further next year. Moreover, Bush's unwillingness to take bold steps to regulate lenders, brokers, and investors will guarantee that the next president will inherit a much bigger mortgage mess."

............

Posted by red hiney monkey at November 8, 2012 11:31 AM
60. Speaking of Crazy Democrats, check out the moron Democrats in the 5th district that voted David Spring. Spring wasn't endorsed by the 5th District Democrats, they know he is crazy after several runs at various offices. The King County Democrats "endorsed" him, but he was the only one running for that particular legislative seat. The Democrats in Olympia don't want him anywhere near the Capital. He had 9 donations to his campaign, two from his girl friend. He put a "D" after his name and is getting 45% of the vote. I think it is safe to say that with Inslee and Spring "D" stands for dumb.

Posted by Smokie at November 8, 2012 11:37 AM
61. re 61: "Speaking of Crazy Democrats, check out the moron Democrats in the 5th district that voted David Spring."

Morons and crazy people are not necessarily in the same category.

...only a moron would say something like that.

Posted by red hiney monkey at November 8, 2012 12:05 PM
62. re 57: "Good night and good news!!" Ted Baxter

Posted by red hiney monkey at November 8, 2012 12:08 PM
63. BS@35, I suppose you could say John the Baptist was a loser too.
We don't count ourselves as being of his stature, but we need to speak our conscience.

Posted by mark at November 8, 2012 12:52 PM
64. Dirk @ 49
> Four more years at the current spending rate are going to run the debt up to close to $20 trillion (almost double the amount accumluated by all other administations combined).

I agree, but given how poorly Supply Side economics is doing in Europe (specifically England) I don't think we had a choice. Now that the economy is crawling back (still fragile given Europe's monetary issues, and the end of China's bubble) we need to raise revenue if ever so slightly to start paying back on the credit card balance we borrowed to pay for the two wars & tax cut the last POTUS gave us and the current POTUS massive stimulus package. Obama cut a lot of Govt. jobs but we need to raise taxes to generate that revenue. It was in Simpson-Bowles, it's in Obama's plan. Only thing holding up is the Norquit idiots who only seek to bankrupt the country. Taxes suck, but taxes are at an all time low (adjusted for inflation) so we're just going to have to sacrifice a bit more of our paycheck for the sake of the republic. Reagan raised taxes (11 times no less) and he's considered a GOP folk hero. This s**t is real!

Posted by Cato at November 8, 2012 01:23 PM
65. @64 mark on November 8, 2012 12:52 PM,

Yes! Republicans are just like John the Baptist!

See if you can figure this out.
@35 I wrote WA Republicans are LOSERS.
I know math and logic are hard for Republicans (see Romney landslide predictions), but
WA Republicans = LOSERS

You able to keep up?

There were 9 statewide partisan executive positions and the Pres/VP on the ballot.

WA Republicans won 1 of 10 (probably).
WA Republicans LOST 9 of 10.

Any need of WA Republicans to speak is akin to the crazy guy off his meds wandering 1st avenue, not John the Baptist.
Also too, you forgot "GREECE!!"

Posted by MikeBoyScout at November 8, 2012 01:59 PM
66. Cato wrote:

MUCH more the latter than the former. The total cost of the wars is $1.4 trillion. And the tax cuts? Total receipts to the Federal Government are about on par with that of 1997/1998/1999 when we had a budget surplus.

No, the issue is spending is WAY out of whack, it's exploded and accounts for nearly all the new debt. And with the greatly expanded spending (because the Senate REFUSES to address a budget) continuing, we'll probably end up close to $23 trillion in debt by the time 2016 rolls around...

Posted by Shanghai Dan at November 8, 2012 06:17 PM
67. If you have any evidence that David Spring is not a moron or crazy then present it. David Spring ( the nut case) uses the letter "D" on his signs and he gets 45% of the vote. Crazy is as Crazy votes. The Red Hiney Monkey is living proof.

Posted by Smokie at November 8, 2012 06:58 PM
68. I hope Rove keeps blowing the right wings money

Posted by Cranbrook Cathy at November 8, 2012 07:40 PM
69. the Community Reinvestment Act, Dimocrat legislation (Carter/enhanced by Clinton) that forced banks to grant mortgages to homebuyers with little or no verifiable income. Much of the toxic paper came from that one.

Saltherring is, once again, full of shit.

Most of the subprime mortgages action was in suburban areas and lent by entities not regulated by the CRA. It just sticks in your craw that a government program exists that assist the former victims of redlining - many black or other minorities - and has been successful, doesn't it?

The subprime lending that led to crisis, and the slicing and dicing of securities based on those mortgages and derivatives thereof, were the result of greed and an under regulated financial market. The 'makers' or 'producers' you people worship were the ones who brought our economy to the brink of total collapse - not honest and hardworking people who benefit from the CRA.

Can Republicans not be bullies?

Posted by Dr. Liberal at November 8, 2012 09:17 PM
70. Problem is..you right wingers always had a problem with facts, when they didn't conform to your version of reality. Unemployment is now flat for 4 years, and dropping. The Dow is up over 60% (5000 points) since Obama took office, and corporate profits are STILL near record highs. The GOP vision of a blasted economy in ruins simply didn't reflect reality for most Americans. The stimulus, with its moderate combination of tax cuts, massive aid to the states and infrastructure projects WORKED. Real Americans saw this, and voted accordingly.

Add in "divine rape", anti-immigration extremism, total lunatic theories on Obama's legitimacy by the Fox wackosphere, a nihiistic Tea Party that is despised by many Americans, and a country made up of fewer angry white men, and there you go.

Posted by Proteus at November 9, 2012 08:27 AM
71. Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a little bit, but instead of that, this is fantastic blog. An excellent read. I'll certainly be back.

Posted by sac dos longchamp at November 9, 2012 11:18 AM